Sunday, August 15, 2010

FIRST BATCH

Yesterday, I mixed the batter for the first ice cream I have made in about eight years. I made a very wicked rum – French vanilla ice cream in those days that everyone used to just die for. My recipe, developed over several batches of trial and error, was left behind when I divorced.

So, now I have this new kitchen aid mixer and a special bowl for making and freezing ice cream. I thumbed through a lot of recipes for French vanilla ice cream, paid a handsome price for a recipe book that’s as worthless as a politician, and eventually settled on one of four or five recipes that came with the machine. I modified that recipe, going strictly from memory and not able to recall exact measurements, and I substituted brandy for the rum. I mixed the batter and set it in the fridge to chill overnight.

This morning, I poured the batter into the freeze bowl and mixed up my first batch. Finally, after moving it into a container for the final freeze, I dared to sample it. Just as the ice cream touched my lips, a thousand singing birds came out of the sky. The kitchen lit up like a Christmas tree, and angels came forth. The ice cream entered my mouth and I must say… I have outdone myself. It was soooo good. And all of the angels and all of the birds shared in this delight, singing and chirping and flapping their wings. What a truly wondrous occasion.

Now, all of the frickin' ice cream is gone and all I got was a teaspoon full. 

No comments: